Sermon on the mountEdit
Jesus' sermon on the mount (Matthew 5:1-12; Luke 6:17-23)
When [Jesus] saw the crowds, he went up on the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. (Matthew 5:1)
And he came down with them and stood on a level place, and there was a large crowd of his disciples, and a great multitude of people from all Ju·de′a and Jerusalem and the coastal region of Tyre and Si′don, who came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. Even those troubled with unclean spirits were cured. And all the crowd were seeking to touch him, because power was going out of him and healing them all. (Luke 6:17-19)
And he looked up at his disciples (Luke 6:20) and opened his mouth and began teaching them, saying: (Matthew 5:2)
1. “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need,* since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.
1. “Happy are you who are poor (Luke 6:20), those conscious of their spiritual need,* since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them. (Matthew 5:3)
2. “Happy are those who mourn, since they will be comforted.
3. “Happy are the mild-tempered,* since they will inherit the earth.
4. “Happy are you who hunger now (Luke 6:20), those hungering and thirsting for righteousness, since they will be filled.* (Matthew 5:4)
5. “Happy are the merciful, since they will be shown mercy.
6. “Happy are the pure in heart, since they will see God.
7. “Happy are the peacemakers,* since they will be called sons of God.
8. “Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.
9. “Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake. Rejoice and be overjoyed, since your reward is great in the heavens, for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you.
21 “Happy are you who hunger now, for you will be filled.+
“Happy are you who weep now, for you will laugh.+
22 “Happy are you whenever men hate you,+ and when they exclude you+ and reproach you and denounce* your name as wicked for the sake of the Son of man. 23 Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for look! your reward is great in heaven, for those are the same things their forefathers used to do to the prophets.+